Pages - Menu

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Cab Ride


It's already past 12 midnight. The dark sky is clear as no rain clouds are there. The moon is magnificently showing its glory, across the sky, with its half shining brightly. And I am here sitting and thinking. This is not a story of a right now and I'm not sitting inside a cab. But within a usual cab ride in a not-so-usual ride atmosphere, I had a fun yet touching story. 


                                             
                                                                           Photo source



It was a typical Saturday afternoon. It was actually just last Saturday. The sun's heat could still be felt as it was slowly setting towards the west. I was waiting for a jeep along Jones Avenue for a ride back into my boarding house. For a couple of minutes, I stayed there standing along the road, waiting. And then on a 16-seater Multi-cab, I found myself riding along with around nine other passengers. I was sitting in the middle part of the left side of the cab. It all seemed like a typical ride I used to have.

I noticed two men talking. I could say they looked like they're in their 50's. They were just wearing casual clothes like they were just in their home. They were seated in the rear part of the cab, near the entrance, seated in front of each other in opposite sides. They seemed to be having fun. Their topic was about their relationship with their wives and they weren't serious. I didn't mean with their relationship but they weren't serious or should I say they were just being humorous. They were just making fun while enjoying the ride on that quite hot afternoon. The man sitting on the other side where I was sitting, was the one cracking the jokes. The other one, just laughing. They were having fun. My attention was attracted to them and I listened to them and glanced at them every once in a while and laughed a little.



One thing fascinated me. They were like teenagers teasing each other while cracking jokes. I think they were really close friends. It's not a usual scene one could see while riding on a Jeep - not, considering their age. Their fun continued until slowly they have grabbed the attention of the rest of the passengers, the driver and the fare collector seated beside the driver.


The man, seated on the other side, was really humorous. And the way he blew his lines, it all were just natural and that made it all really funny and amusing. I didn’t know if he’s a little bit drunk, I didn’t even notice or think of it. But when his brown envelope was unknowingly dropped below the seat, he didn’t seem to notice. I didn’t also notice although at that instance as I was looking at him while he was expressively telling jokes. A guy seated almost in front me told the man that his envelope was dropped, he thanked the guy and said, “Oh, you envelope. Are you drunk?” while he shook and opened it, showed it to us that it’s empty. He laughed and said that it was just for a show, nothing really is inside it.  And we all laughed and that made me think if his not drunk or the way I looked at him - maybe a little. 

And then he suddenly sang a folk song, I never heard of it. He was singing, with his head swaying and hands in beat, while showing us what’s written in the folder and then pointed to it. I think that was the title of the song. I tried to remember that word but I just couldn’t. His voice was good. And then he said he’s a music teacher in a university nearby,he even named it. Then he started telling about his wife and their relationship. He still was humorous while telling that. Parts by parts, he sang their songs and said those were the days when love was so strong. Young as they were, he told her he loved her and that she too felt the same. “The magic and wonder of young love and the strong intense emotions it brings”, he said. And they were happy. But now he said, we’re not together anymore. Their children are already old and each have their own lives. She’s a head nurse in a hospital and he actually mentioned the hospital. "He cares not.", he said and added, "She maybe have money but I do have my pension". And we all laughed. He sound so funny again but then I know there’s emotion there. A serious sad emotion hidden beneath those lines, I have felt it.”And I won’t anymore look for another woman, I’m too old”, he said. “Besides, a woman might just stay with me because of money.”,  he continued. “But mind you, oh I can still manage to make a woman happy”, and we laughed again. The way he throwed those words and his face and actions, he was just so hilarious. Yet I know, there’s a sad story masked behind those jokes. I have really felt it.

“I won’t commit suicide because of that break-up.”, he said laughing. “Then who will benefit my pension?..Her?”, and he kind of smile. “No, I won’t”, he added. “Life is still good and I just have to continue living.”, and we all agreed to him. I don’t know his story as a whole, but whatever it is or the reasons are, I could only agree to him that what he said was true - he should continue his journey. Life is always beautiful.  

Before they reached their destination, he asked the woman, seated beside me, of the man she earlier mentioned. He named the person and asked, “I know him. He’s in military, right?”. And the woman smiled and agreed. “I know him because I’m a Major.”, he said with a little laugh. I thought he said he’s a teacher. I was puzzled and began to wonder.

And then he said, “I’m a Major....Major problem!”. 
We all laughed. And he got me laughing hard with that. I could only wish the cab had a spacious floor. Kidding.

And the period was placed at the end of the sentence.
They both disembarked from the cab, in the intersection going to a military camp and also just near the university he said he was teaching. Coincidence or not, I wonder what does he really do for a living,  a teacher or a military man. At that time, he didn't look like any of those either. I can only guess.

He was still showing that happy and funny face while looking at us, smiling, after he crossed the road. And we were still laughing and fascinated with him.

I don’t know if he was really a teacher but one thing’s sure, I learned some things from him - jokes, life and most importantly, keeping a relationship.

2 comments:

  1. i wonder why they had separated when he is a humorous man. well, sometimes things do happen for a reason we can't comprehend... great post treash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, maybe some differences in their character or anything else.Perhaps they can't agree on some things in their relationship, we can only guess..This is one of those 'how we learn to value relationships' because it's hard ending up alone and lonely..I have seen him again for 2 times already after that day..hehe..Thanks for reading treash!

      Delete

ShareThis